What is Web 2.0? You redefine the paradigm
Collective intelligence - It's not just for badgers
Friday Poll Results Three weeks ago we asked you - what does "Web 2.0" mean? What is it, really? No one who promotes the buzzword seems to be able to explain it. Even after a few mystical incantations of "collective intelligence" - we were none the wiser.
So we opened the floor to Register readers - the people who keep the machines running when all the hypes come and go.
And you answered our plea.
And how you did. From Manhattan to Mongolia (really) - from the Fortune 100 to charities, local authorities, IT vendors and distributors, came the suggestions. Thick and fast.
As many of you had written in within in 24 hours than had actually attended the $2000 a head "Web 2.0" conference. That's five a minute.
This was impressive.
But what we didn't expect was the level of vitriol you threw at this latest nebulous piece of metaphysical marketingese. A few of you were clearly hitting your Random Buzzword Generators hard. But overall, almost half of Register readers shunned the five suggested choices and wrote in your own. Many also supplemented the official suggestions with some very creative work.
Here's a selection to give you an idea.
- Web 2.0 is made of ... 600 million unwanted opinions in realtime
- Paul Moore
- Web 2.0 is made of ... emergent blook juice
- Ian Nisbet
- Web 2.0 is made entirely of pretentious self serving morons.
- Max Irwin
- Web 2.0 is made of ...Magic pixie dust (a.k.a . Tim O'Reilly's dandruff)
- Jeramey Crawford
- Web 2.0 is the air for the next bubble
- Web 2.0 is made of ... a lot of thin but very hot air blown at you by those who are convinced that having nothing to say is by no means a good reason to shut up.
- Roon Micha
- Web 2.0 is made of ... a row boat made up of a rather large hole.
- Ted Crafton
- Web 2.0 is made of ... les gazeuses des sapeurs-pompiers
- Vaughan Lewis
- Web 2.0 is made of ... 2 parts flour 1 part milk and 3 parts broken dreams
- Daniel Nicholson
- Web 2.0 is made of ... Sk^H^Hhype.
- Edward Grace
- Web 2.0 is made of ... a collective dynamic think-process
- Ben Shephard
- Web 2.0 is ... the vapourware output of people moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm (to the sound of whalesong)
- Michael Shaw
- Web 2.0 is made of ... more ways for providers to rip us off
- Mike Bunyan
- Web 2.0 is made of ... millions upon millions of bandwagons, circled into one giant investor cluster-f**k
- Richard Ellis
- Web 2.0 is made of...the easily led
- Colin Jackson
- Web 2.0 is made of ... blooks and flooks?
- Thomas Borgia
- Web 2.0 is made of ...Porn 2.0
- Phil Standen
- Web 2.0 is made of ... the skin that forms on the top of the soup of the collective consciousness
- Troy Fletcher
- Web 2.0 is made of ... marketing and collaborative self-deception
- Dave Burt
- Web 2.0 is made of ...recycled tech blurbs, stitched together at random (a la software that randomly generates scientific articles, previously mentioned by El Reg), submitted surreptitiously to the blog hive mind.
- B. Shubin
- Web 2.0 is made of ... Diarrhoea for Work Groups (TM) - it keeps you entertained for a long time, spreads quickly and contains no hard facts.
- Florian Merx
By now you've clocked that many of the write-in suggestions are far more hostile to Web 2.0 than our original suggestions - namely "Badger's Paws", "A Magic Swirling Ship", "Recycled copies of Esther Dyson's Release 1.0 newsletter", "Nothing".
In fact it's the most vitriolic outpouring from readers directed at anything in this reporter's experience.
So let the bloodletting continue -
- Web 2.0 is ... complete crap, hype and bullshit and other self absorbed West Coast navel gazing pastimes
- Doug Moncur
- Web 2.0 is made of ...an infinite number of bloggers randomly generating Shakespeare. Professionals have no hope against infinity.
- David Bond
- Web 2.0 is like all the colors of the Rainbow remixed and remixed on a palette until it has that grayish-brown shit color
- Alan Kaim
- Web 2.0 is made of ... Ballmer's supply of "slightly worn" office chairs...
- Steven Griffiths
- Web 2.0 is made of ... over-eager people
- James Cole
- Web 2.0 is made of ... dreams - but if Web 1.0 is any indicator they will be wet-dreams
- Stuart Morrison
- Web 2.0 is made of ... Segway spare parts
- Ben Letham
- Web 2.0 is made of ... unsold Amstrad e-mailers
- James Jeffrey
- Web 2.0 is made of ...ideas without Foundation
- Daryl Bamforth
- Web 2.0 is made of …. staggeringly beautiful silken threads of links through hyperspace, capturing the purity of the morning's dew of condensed ideas and the rotting remains of semi-digested beatle-blogs.
- Andrew Alcock
- Web 2.0 is made of ... a collective of genetically modified intelligent microbes communicating though brainwave synchronization
- Web 2.0 is made of ... Love and Peas
- Mark Nellist
- Web 2.0 is made of ... a collaborator trick to create a hive mind for the Borg Queen's ascendancy
- Joe Robertson
- Web 2.0 is made of ... infosphermekinalization
- Perran Hill
- Web 2.0 is made of …Outsauce
- Jared Earle
- Web 2.0 is the wet dream of wicky fidlers everywhere
- Robin Pollard
- Web 2.0 is made of a mix of SCO integrity, M$ stable code, George Bush's ethics, Bill Gates' personality and rocking horse sh!te
- Alastair Bravey
- Web 2.0 is made of...ground up marketing demons repackaged and rebranded to sell something that has existed on the internet since it begun. It's just a buzz word to get management interested in spending money
- Roy Davis
- Web 2.0 is made of a trillion shimmering threads of light, my data, your data, shared services, self improving programs, all human knowledge, all human experience, all those viruses, all your stash of "Scandinavian amateur photography", all my financial information!, all the PFY's collection of Paris Hilton videos!!.....WTF!!! Why does my screen say "42"?
- Alan Boyd
You get the idea. All very impressive. Now let's analyze these numbers, and see if we can generate our own "meme map".
Sponsored: Global DDoS threat landscape report