Feeds

IBM secures China server biz with Great Wall

Lenovo loved and then attacked

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Internet Security Threat Report 2014

After making a big splash in the Chinese PC market, IBM has now taken care of the server side of the house by forming a new joint venture with Great Wall Computing.

IBM will own 80 percent of International Systems Technology Company with Great Wall picking up the other 20 percent. The new company replaces an old joint venture between the companies known as International Information Products (IIP). That company manufactured notebooks, servers and other gear for IBM to be sold in the Asia-Pacific region.

IBM gave up its interest in IIP to Great Wall's rival Lenovo, as part of the two companies' much-publicized PC deal. In addition, Great Wall sold its stake in IIP to Lenovo.

Now, ITSC will make IBM's full spectrum of Intel, AMD and Power5 servers. IBM will be competing against PC partner Lenovo in the server market. ®

Related stories

HP launches low-end PC for China
IBM CEO's memo clarifies PC biz sell-off
IBM sells PC biz to China

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
NSA SOURCE CODE LEAK: Information slurp tools to appear online
Now you can run your own intelligence agency
Azure TITSUP caused by INFINITE LOOP
Fat fingered geo-block kept Aussies in the dark
Yahoo! blames! MONSTER! email! OUTAGE! on! CUT! CABLE! bungle!
Weekend woe for BT as telco struggles to restore service
Cloud unicorns are extinct so DiData cloud mess was YOUR fault
Applications need to be built to handle TITSUP incidents
Stop the IoT revolution! We need to figure out packet sizes first
Researchers test 802.15.4 and find we know nuh-think! about large scale sensor network ops
Turnbull should spare us all airline-magazine-grade cloud hype
Box-hugger is not a dirty word, Minister. Box-huggers make the cloud WORK
SanDisk vows: We'll have a 16TB SSD WHOPPER by 2016
Flash WORM has a serious use for archived photos and videos
Astro-boffins start opening universe simulation data
Got a supercomputer? Want to simulate a universe? Here you go
Microsoft adds video offering to Office 365. Oh NOES, you'll need Adobe Flash
Lovely presentations... but not on your Flash-hating mobe
prev story

Whitepapers

Designing and building an open ITOA architecture
Learn about a new IT data taxonomy defined by the four data sources of IT visibility: wire, machine, agent, and synthetic data sets.
Why CIOs should rethink endpoint data protection in the age of mobility
Assessing trends in data protection, specifically with respect to mobile devices, BYOD, and remote employees.
Getting started with customer-focused identity management
Learn why identity is a fundamental requirement to digital growth, and how without it there is no way to identify and engage customers in a meaningful way.
High Performance for All
While HPC is not new, it has traditionally been seen as a specialist area – is it now geared up to meet more mainstream requirements?
Security and trust: The backbone of doing business over the internet
Explores the current state of website security and the contributions Symantec is making to help organizations protect critical data and build trust with customers.