Feeds

Nominet board results in

Fresh blood at top of the UK registrar

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Designing a Defense for Mobile Applications

The results of the board elections for the .uk domain registrar are in - and it's out with the old and in with the new.

Former member of its Public Advisory Board, Gordon Dick has been elevated to the six-strong deciding unit of Nominet, alongside existing board member Fay Howard. Unfortunately that means Stephen Dyer has been replaced after four years at the top.

Gordon previously said his decision to stand was in order to give Nominet members a choice and added in his election statement that a "regular but steady churn of CoM members helps to invigorate Nominet and ensures that complacency and arrogance does not have a chance to set in".

Well, that what members have voted for - although we can exactly work out how. The board elections are complicated by the fact that 25 per cent of the vote is given equally to each member (one member, one vote) but the remaining 75 per cent is weighted according to how significant that member is - namely how many domains they have registered that year.

Adding further confusion is the formula provided by the Electoral Reform Services. While we have no doubt it is fair and equitable, we can figure out exactly how. See here to try and make some sense of it.

Anyway, in the first round of voting, the 210 returned valid papers gave a weighted voting split of Fay Howard with 12,053, Stephen Dyer with 736 and Gordon Dick struggling with 206. The 2nd stage of voting then produces figures of -1054.66, 25.50 and 1019.49 respectively - which subsequently gave Gordon Dick the highest score with 1225.49, Fay Howard second with 998.34 and last Stephen Dyer with 761.50.

From last to first in one apparently incomprehensible step. See it for yourself here.

Anyway, congratulations to Gordon and Fay, commiserations to Stephen, and pull your socks up to Nominet members who voted in their smallest numbers yet (234 in 2002; 306 in 2003; just 210 this year). ®

Related stories

ICANN grows up at last
Powergen awarded whistleblower's domain
EC tells Europe and ICANN to make peace

Using blade systems to cut costs and sharpen efficiencies

More from The Register

next story
BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
Auntie tight-lipped as major outage rolls on
iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple ran off to IBM
But never fear fanbois, you're still lapping up iPhones, Macs
Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
Phone egg, meet desktop chicken - your mother
HP, Microsoft prove it again: Big Business doesn't create jobs
SMEs get lip service - what they need is dinner at the Club
ITC: Seagate and LSI can infringe Realtek patents because Realtek isn't in the US
Land of the (get off scot) free, when it's a foreign owner
White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!
Grim diversity numbers dumped alongside Facebook earnings
Dude, you're getting a Dell – with BITCOIN: IT giant slurps cryptocash
1. Buy PC with Bitcoin. 2. Mine more coins. 3. Goto step 1
There's NOTHING on TV in Europe – American video DOMINATES
Even France's mega subsidies don't stop US content onslaught
You! Pirate! Stop pirating, or we shall admonish you politely. Repeatedly, if necessary
And we shall go about telling people you smell. No, not really
prev story

Whitepapers

Designing a Defense for Mobile Applications
Learn about the various considerations for defending mobile applications - from the application architecture itself to the myriad testing technologies.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Reducing security risks from open source software
Follow a few strategies and your organization can gain the full benefits of open source and the cloud without compromising the security of your applications.
Boost IT visibility and business value
How building a great service catalog relieves pressure points and demonstrates the value of IT service management.
Consolidation: the foundation for IT and business transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.