Feeds

Hutchison picks up 3 UK's tab

Settles £1.5bn debt

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

New hybrid storage solutions

Hutchison Whampoa, the Hong Kong parent of mobile network 3 UK, is paying off more a billion pounds of debt for its spendthrift offspring.

Hutchison owns 80 per cent of 3 and is believed to be in talks to acquire the remaining 20 per cent from NTT DoCoMo.

It will pay the banks £1.5bn which 3 was due to pay back in March next year. The company says there was no pressure from the banks, but with disappointing subscriber numbers it is not surprising the mobile network has needed bailing out.

Hutchison told the BBC: "We have a lot of cash on hand and the UK loan is rather expensive." The 3G network owes a total of £2.5bn.

3 claims 210,000 subscriberms in the UK. It has just started offering pay-as-you-go services. ®

Related stories

Three new handsets from 3
Merging Hutchison Whampoa
3 has too few handsets to meet million user target

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
Brit telcos warn Scots that voting Yes could lead to HEFTY bills
BT and Co: Independence vote likely to mean 'increased costs'
Phones 4u slips into administration after EE cuts ties with Brit mobe retailer
More than 5,500 jobs could be axed if rescue mission fails
Radio hams can encrypt, in emergencies, says Ofcom
Consultation promises new spectrum and hints at relaxed licence conditions
Blockbuster book lays out the first 20 years of the Smartphone Wars
Symbian's David Wood bares all. Not for the faint hearted
'Serious flaws in the Vertigan report' says broadband boffin
Report 'fails reality test' , is 'simply wrong' and offers ''convenient' justification for FTTN says Rod Tucker
This flashlight app requires: Your contacts list, identity, access to your camera...
Who us, dodgy? Vast majority of mobile apps fail privacy test
Apple Watch will CONQUER smartwatch world – analysts
After Applelocalypse, other wristputers will get stuck in
prev story

Whitepapers

Providing a secure and efficient Helpdesk
A single remote control platform for user support is be key to providing an efficient helpdesk. Retain full control over the way in which screen and keystroke data is transmitted.
Top 5 reasons to deploy VMware with Tegile
Data demand and the rise of virtualization is challenging IT teams to deliver storage performance, scalability and capacity that can keep up, while maximizing efficiency.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.
Security for virtualized datacentres
Legacy security solutions are inefficient due to the architectural differences between physical and virtual environments.
Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops
Balancing user privacy and privileged access, in accordance with compliance frameworks and legislation. Evaluating any potential remote control choice.