Feeds

AMD, Fujitsu to merge Flash ops

Chance to become number two in the biz

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

AMD and Fujitsu have agreed to merge their Flash memory operations in a bid to mount a direct challenge to Intel's dominance of the market.

The two companies' Memorandum of Understanding - which will presumably require shareholder and regulatory authority approval before becoming a done deal - calls for the merger of Flash operations into a separate entity called FASL (Fujitsu AMD Semiconductor Limited), to be based in the US and Japan. FASL already exists as a 50:50 JV between the two companies. FASL was launched in 1993.

AMD will hold 60 per cent of the new operation; Fujitsu the remaining 40 per cent. However, FASL's results will appear on AMD's books.

After difficult times a few years back, AMD's Flash operation has been perking up of late. During the company's last completed financial quarter, Q4 2002, AMD sold $217 million worth of Flash parts, up 15 per cent from Q3 2002's $189 million.

For the year as a whole, AMD sold $727 million worth of Flash chips, putting it in fourth place behind Toshiba ($842 million), Samsung ($1.2 billion) and Intel ($2.1 billion), according to iSuppli figures cited here. Fifth-place Fujitsu sold $657 million worth of Flash products last year, so FASL has the potential to become the second largest Flash seller by sales. ®

Whitepapers

Why cloud backup?
Combining the latest advancements in disk-based backup with secure, integrated, cloud technologies offer organizations fast and assured recovery of their critical enterprise data.
Getting started with customer-focused identity management
Learn why identity is a fundamental requirement to digital growth, and how without it there is no way to identify and engage customers in a meaningful way.
High Performance for All
While HPC is not new, it has traditionally been seen as a specialist area – is it now geared up to meet more mainstream requirements?
Simplify SSL certificate management across the enterprise
Simple steps to take control of SSL across the enterprise, and recommendations for a management platform for full visibility and single-point of control for these Certificates.
Top 5 reasons to deploy VMware with Tegile
Data demand and the rise of virtualization is challenging IT teams to deliver storage performance, scalability and capacity that can keep up, while maximizing efficiency.