Feeds

NEC, SVA to expand LCD output with $710m plant

Fifth-generation fab

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

NEC and Chinese electronics group SVA yesterday said they will together invest an initial $710 million to construct a new fifth-generation LCD plant in China.

The fab will produce 1.1 x 1.3m glass substrates from which a number of large LCD panels for PC monitors and TV screens can be cut.

The plant will be located in Shanghai and its output primarily used to target the Chinese market. SVA is contributing 75 per cent of the up-front cost of the plant, NEC the remaining 25 per cent.

The plant, which is due to begin production in October 2004, will be run by an NEC-SVA joint venture.

Earlier this week, Samsung said it would be spending a total of $963 million on its latest, sixth-generation LCD plant. ®

Related Story

Samsung to spend $963m on latest LCD plant

Whitepapers

Endpoint data privacy in the cloud is easier than you think
Innovations in encryption and storage resolve issues of data privacy and key requirements for companies to look for in a solution.
Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Top 8 considerations to enable and simplify mobility
In this whitepaper learn how to successfully add mobile capabilities simply and cost effectively.
Solving today's distributed Big Data backup challenges
Enable IT efficiency and allow a firm to access and reuse corporate information for competitive advantage, ultimately changing business outcomes.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.