Feeds

Punters 'don't need' wireless data services

That's what they're telling Yankee Group

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Boost IT visibility and business value

Despite the best efforts of the wireless operators across the globe, interest in the value add next generation data services remains worryingly low. In its latest study of the wireless market, industry experts Yankee Group has found that few people use wireless data services today and few see the value of these services in the future.

It's clear that the number of wireless data users across the world is increasing, if slowly. The Yankee Group found that approximately 18% of wireless network users have used wireless data services. But that still leaves 82% who haven't used such services and it doesn't look like they want to either.

When the Yankee Group asked this large grouping why they don't use wireless data services they got a damning response. 42% said that they simply didn't need them. To an intelligent industry, that's a comment that will be received with the response, '..that's because we haven't told them they need them yet.' The problem this time around is that the industry has told everyone they need these services - and everyone still isn't interested.

Even those whoe are interested in wireless data services are not convinced. Sixteen per cent say that wireless data services is too expensive and 6 per cent that they are just too complicated. It's not getting any easier is it?

To many, the idea of the wireless Internet being laughable, as it was last year, has been washed away. The wireless operators have done an excellent job of ignoring this issue, and they've stopped pretending that they can deliver such excellent services and are instead focusing on today's deliverables. For instance, the hype right now is about colour handsets, which are good and reliable, digital cameras and the transmission of these images, which again is pretty good, works well and isn't too costly.

This is good. It helps manage expectations and gives a steady, staged delivery of good services rather than having people think about the things that the wireless operators can't deliver. Next-up will be the Multimedia Messaging Services and a raft of further developments, instant messaging etc, which again should be easily and well executed. While doing this, the operators are gradually piecing together the technologies for the future, handsets, networks etc, enabling them to, eventually, deliver on the promise of the wireless web.

It is only through such a strategy of message and product delivery that the wireless operators will ever get over this gaping problem of perception.

© IT-Analysis.com

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
Déjà vu: Virgin Media jacks up broadband prices
Screw copper phone lines, we're UNIQUE, bleats telco
UK fuzz want PINCODES on ALL mobile phones
Met Police calls for mandatory passwords on all new mobes
Netflix swallows yet another bitter pill, inks peering deal with TWC
Net neutrality crusader once again pays up for priority access
Fifteen zero days found in hacker router comp romp
Four routers rooted in SOHOpelessly Broken challenge
New Sprint CEO says he will lower axe on staff – but prices come first
'Very disruptive' new rates to be revealed next week
US TV stations bowl sueball directly at FCC's spectrum mega-sale
Broadcasters upset about coverage and cost as they shift up and down the dials
UK mobile coverage is BETTER than EVER, networks tell Ofcom
Regulator swallows this line and parrots it back out at us. What are they playing at?
What's the nature of your emergency, Vodafone?
Oh, you've dialled the wrong number for ad fibs, rules ASA
EE network whacked by 'PDP authentication failure' blunder
Carrier is 'aware' of cockup, working on a fix NOW
ROAD TRIP! An FCC road trip – Leahy demands net neutrality debate across US
You crashed watchdog's site, now time to crash its ears
prev story

Whitepapers

Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Top 10 endpoint backup mistakes
Avoid the ten endpoint backup mistakes to ensure that your critical corporate data is protected and end user productivity is improved.
Top 8 considerations to enable and simplify mobility
In this whitepaper learn how to successfully add mobile capabilities simply and cost effectively.
Rethinking backup and recovery in the modern data center
Combining intelligence, operational analytics, and automation to enable efficient, data-driven IT organizations using the HP ABR approach.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.