15th September 2002 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
There's a horrible underlying logic. Pass the Linux, Alice...
Fresh from executing a long-overdue netBook retread, Psion is poised for full-scale betrayal* by switching the machine over to Windows CE - or so, at least, claims a report in the Australian Financial Review. The piece, which cites "a source briefed by the company," definitely says "switch" rather than 'introduce a new model …
Personal 15 Sep 2002, 14:59
To fight MS lobbying, argues Stallman, the community needs to stop downplaying its origins
The following is an open letter from Free Software Foundation President Richard Stallman to SecurityFocus' Jon Lasser, in response to his article Lobbying for Insecurity: I read your article about Microsoft and Security-Enhanced Linux with interest, and saw your advice to the open-source community. I do not advocate open …
Software 15 Sep 2002, 15:31
Not really born in 1982 after all...
Last week's piece on the rediscovery of the first smiley produced a predictably bumper response from our busy and serious-minded readership. For starters, Biran Culvey would like us to "correct an obvious error. Discussion of Star Trek was only a short diversion from the more serious and lengthy discussion of short, cute aliens …
Music and Media 15 Sep 2002, 16:06
- Analysis BlackBerry Messenger unleashed: Look out Twitter and Facebook
- Comment Mobile tech destroys the case for the HS2 £multi-beellion train set
- Nine-year-old Opportunity Mars rover sets NASA distance record
- IT bloke publishes comprehensive maps of CALL CENTRE menu HELL
- Things that cost the same as coffee with Tim Cook - and are WAY more fun