UK census site stays shut
The re-opening of the 1901 census Web site has been delayed – again.
Last month the Public Record Office (PRO) said the site would be up and running by the beginning of February, after it was taken down for vital maintenance.
Its re-opening has now been delayed for another three weeks and could remain offline for longer unless the problems that have plagued the site are resolved.
A limited service enabling people to access the database from selected Public Record offices has been made available over recent weeks. However, even this will be pulled from tomorrow to allow vital work to be carried out. It is due to be re-instated on February 20.
A spokesman for Qinetiq, the outfit behind the site, told The Register: "Evaluation work is still on-going and that has to continue until it is felt that the site can go up.
"We won't put it up until we're confident that it will work." ®