Feeds

Hynix rids itself of LCD plant for $650m

Chipping away at the debt mountain

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Troubled memory maker Hynix has flogged off its LCD operation to a Taiwanese company for $650 million.

As the deal stands, the buyer, Cando, will take 80.1 per cent of the business; Hynix will hang on to the remaining 19.9 per cent. The two companies are mulling over the final details of the plan.

The sale will bring Hynix around 830 billion won, 500 billion won now and the rest some time next year. The up-front payment will go some way to cutting the company's massive multi-trillion won debt, and to building up the one trillion won the company has promised its creditors it raise through the sale of non-core assets.

The LCD operation notched up 320 billion won in sales last year from punching out three million LCDs. It employs 1500 staff. Hynix tried to sell the plant to Philips earlier this year for one trillion won. ®

Related Stories

Creditors agree to 1500bn won Hynix rescue plan
Hynix's biggest creditor nixes bailout plan
Hynix will get no help from Korean govt - Deputy PM
Hynix shuts US plant to limit DRAM output
Hynix offers TFT LCD business to LG Philips
Hynix nixes non-core operations

Whitepapers

Designing and building an open ITOA architecture
Learn about a new IT data taxonomy defined by the four data sources of IT visibility: wire, machine, agent, and synthetic data sets.
Forging a new future with identity relationship management
Learn about ForgeRock's next generation IRM platform and how it is designed to empower CEOS's and enterprises to engage with consumers.
5 critical considerations for enterprise cloud backup
Key considerations when evaluating cloud backup solutions to ensure adequate protection security and availability of enterprise data.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.
Managing SSL certificates with ease
The lack of operational efficiencies and compliance pitfalls associated with poor SSL certificate management, and how the right SSL certificate management tool can help.