19th May 2001 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Cheques and balances
Checklist: water the rubber plants for the weekend, turn all the office lights out and, oh yes - sign-off the VeriSign dot.com domain name monopoly for another five years. Then home. It was a particularly eventful Friday at the Department of Commerce, which timed rubber stamping the VeriSign deal for the moment (five o'clock) …
Music and Media 19 May 2001, 07:35
Google continues to claw back the functionality lost when it bought out the Deja Usenet archive, and threw the UI overboard. As from yesterday, users have the ability to post to Usenet groups. Google requires posters to have a valid email address, so "andrew@no-spam-we're-British-dot-theregister-dot-co-dot-uk" won't cut it. …
Music and Media 19 May 2001, 07:56
Usenet as a 'weapon of terror'
A couple of weeks ago computer engineer Keith Henson was found guilty in California of a criminal act related to posts he made in the newsgroup alt.religion.scientology, which contained obviously comical (all right, Sophomoric) references to targeting Scientologists with a nuclear missile. The jury convicted him of interfering …
Music and Media 19 May 2001, 19:43
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire