Feeds

Sega to create games for Net appliances

JV to create network gaming core code

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

High performance access to file storage

Sega is looking to the emerging Internet appliance market as a new games platform as the company struggles to make its way in the PlayStation 2 era.

The games company today said it has formed a new operation, Sega Access, to develop networked multi-player gaming infrastructure software for Net appliances.

The new company is a joint venture with Access, a developer of software for Internet access set-top boxes. Sega Access has started operating with working capital of ¥50 million ($442,500). Sega has a 51 per cent stake in the firm; Access the remaining 49 per cent.

Essentially, Sega will supply games development expertise and content. Access brings embedded application code and middleware to the table. The upshot will be a platform Net appliance vendors can incorporate into their products to support "entertainment content" - by that, we take it Sega means streamed audio and video - and network gaming.

It's certainly an interesting move, and one that ties in with Sega's shift away from the console business toward software and services sales. The Net appliance market has so far failed to live up to pundits' predictions, but it could one day provide Sega with a broad platform to target with its games and services, in place of the rather more narrow Dreamcast platform.

Sega's online gaming service and ISP, SegaNet, already supports PC users in addition to Dreamcast owners, so it's no surprise the company is looking beyond the PC to other systems too. ®

Related Stories

Sega out to steal lead in console software biz
Sega unwraps SegaNet
Sega full-year loss to widen
Sega to turn ¥1.5bn profit to ¥22.1bn loss

High performance access to file storage

More from The Register

next story
Android engineer: We DIDN'T copy Apple OR follow Samsung's orders
Veep testifies for Samsung during Apple patent trial
This time it's 'Personal': new Office 365 sub covers just two devices
Redmond also brings Office into Google's back yard
Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
Admins dab straining server brows in advance of Trusty Tahr's long-term support landing
Microsoft lobs pre-release Windows Phone 8.1 at devs who dare
App makers can load it before anyone else, but if they do they're stuck with it
Half of Twitter's 'active users' are SILENT STALKERS
Nearly 50% have NEVER tweeted a word
Windows XP still has 27 per cent market share on its deathbed
Windows 7 making some gains on XP Death Day
Internet-of-stuff startup dumps NoSQL for ... SQL?
NoSQL taste great at first but lacks proper nutrients, says startup cloud whiz
Windows 8.1, which you probably haven't upgraded to yet, ALREADY OBSOLETE
Pre-Update versions of new Windows version will no longer support patches
Microsoft TIER SMEAR changes app prices whether devs ask or not
Some go up, some go down, Redmond goes silent
Red Hat to ship RHEL 7 release candidate with a taste of container tech
Grab 'near-final' version of next Enterprise Linux next week
prev story

Whitepapers

Securing web applications made simple and scalable
In this whitepaper learn how automated security testing can provide a simple and scalable way to protect your web applications.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
HP ArcSight ESM solution helps Finansbank
Based on their experience using HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager for IT security operations, Finansbank moved to HP ArcSight ESM for fraud management.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Mobile application security study
Download this report to see the alarming realities regarding the sheer number of applications vulnerable to attack, as well as the most common and easily addressable vulnerability errors.