Feeds

Linux growth rate slows in Japan

But still being taken up faster than the market as a whole

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

High performance access to file storage

Linux's explosive growth as a server operating system appears to be slowing, at least in Japan. However, it is still growing faster than the market as a whole.

According to IDC Japan's latest stats, for the Japanese server OS arena, Linux will account for 7.8 per cent of the market come the end of 2000. That's due to a 144.4 per cent increase on the number of shrinkwrapped or bundled copies of the open source operating system shipped during the year.

That compares with the 666.3 per cent growth rate Linux saw during 1999, when the OS leapt from 0.7 per cent of the server market at the start of the year to four per cent 12 months later.

The Japanese server market as a whole is set to grow 26.9 per cent this year, IDC reckons, so Linux is clearly steaming ahead even if not quite as fast as before. And last year's explosive growth was more a result of coming from next to nothing than a true measure of increasing interest in its usage, year on year.

During 2000, IDC expects Windows' share to decline by 2.1 per cent, despite strong growth in Windows 2000 sales during the ten months or so it's been on sale in Japan.

Last year, Windows NT took 81.3 per cent of the market. In 2000, NT will account for 60.9 per cent and Windows 2000 18.3 per cent, for a total of 79.2 per cent.

Unix variants will account for 9.4 per cent of the market, down from 10.1 per cent during 1999. Unit sales will increase 17.1 per cent during 2000.

Looking ahead, IDC Japan predicts that the Japanese server OS market will grow by an average of 17.2 per cent between 1999 and 2004. During that time, Linux will grow each year by an average of 69.5 per cent, leading to a marketshare of 25.4 per cent in 2004. ®

Related Story

Linux grows 666 per cent in Japan

Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction

More from The Register

next story
This time it's 'Personal': new Office 365 sub covers just two devices
Redmond also brings Office into Google's back yard
Inside the Hekaton: SQL Server 2014's database engine deconstructed
Nadella's database sqares the circle of cheap memory vs speed
Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
Hang on. Which bit of Developer Preview don't you understand?
Microsoft lobs pre-release Windows Phone 8.1 at devs who dare
App makers can load it before anyone else, but if they do they're stuck with it
Half of Twitter's 'active users' are SILENT STALKERS
Nearly 50% have NEVER tweeted a word
Internet-of-stuff startup dumps NoSQL for ... SQL?
NoSQL taste great at first but lacks proper nutrients, says startup cloud whiz
IRS boss on XP migration: 'Classic fix the airplane while you're flying it attempt'
Plus: Condoleezza Rice at Dropbox 'maybe she can find ... weapons of mass destruction'
Ditch the sync, paddle in the Streem: Upstart offers syncless sharing
Upload, delete and carry on sharing afterwards?
New Facebook phone app allows you to stalk your mates
Nearby Friends feature goes live in a few weeks
prev story

Whitepapers

Top three mobile application threats
Learn about three of the top mobile application security threats facing businesses today and recommendations on how to mitigate the risk.
Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction
Based on their experience using HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager for IT security operations, Finansbank moved to HP ArcSight ESM for fraud management.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
SANS - Survey on application security programs
In this whitepaper learn about the state of application security programs and practices of 488 surveyed respondents, and discover how mature and effective these programs are.