Feeds

Half of UK schools are software pirates

What, you mean you can't just copy it as often as you like...?

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

High performance access to file storage

Almost half the nation's schools are unwittingly using dodgy software. This shock revelation comes via a report from Microsoft, a well known software vendor that likes doing business with the education market. Half of all primary schools and one in four secondary schools claimed to be blissfully unaware that it was illegal to make copies of software after buying just the one licence. Microsoft and the British Educational Suppliers Association (BESA) got 40 per cent of the 1,500 schools surveyed to admit to possible guilt of software piracy. And only 10 per cent of schools said they had actually discussed software licensing. The other 90 per cent seemed ignorant of the fact that the Great Satan could twist the survey to sue them any time it pleased. "It is disappointing that confusion seems to be hindering progress in this [IT in education] area," commented Mark East, group manager of Microsoft's education group. East said the IT industry: "Should make greater efforts to simplify software licensing and provide more clarity on the consequences of software theft." But if the teachers were locked up, and the schools made to fork out for hundreds more copies of software, wouldn't the British taxpayer wind up paying the difference anyway? Software piracy is claimed to cost the UK over £400 million per year. ® Related stories: Threat of gaol not enough to deter piracy Time for Europe to stamp out software pirates UK schools offered free Web access

High performance access to file storage

More from The Register

next story
Audio fans, prepare yourself for the Second Coming ... of Blu-ray
High Fidelity Pure Audio – is this what your ears have been waiting for?
Dropbox defends fantastically badly timed Condoleezza Rice appointment
'Nothing is going to change with Dr. Rice's appointment,' file sharer promises
Did a date calculation bug just cost hard-up Co-op Bank £110m?
And just when Brit banking org needs £400m to stay afloat
MtGox chief Karpelès refuses to come to US for g-men's grilling
Bitcoin baron says he needs another lawyer for FinCEN chat
Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon flying broadband-bot
Nokia offers 'voluntary retirement' to 6,000+ Indian employees
India's 'predictability and stability' cited as mobe-maker's tax payment deadline nears
Apple DOMINATES the Valley, rakes in more profit than Google, HP, Intel, Cisco COMBINED
Cook & Co. also pay more taxes than those four worthies PLUS eBay and Oracle
It may be ILLEGAL to run Heartbleed health checks – IT lawyer
Do the right thing, earn up to 10 years in clink
France bans managers from contacting workers outside business hours
«Email? Mais non ... il est plus tard que six heures du soir!»
prev story

Whitepapers

Mainstay ROI - Does application security pay?
In this whitepaper learn how you and your enterprise might benefit from better software security.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
3 Big data security analytics techniques
Applying these Big Data security analytics techniques can help you make your business safer by detecting attacks early, before significant damage is done.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Mobile application security study
Download this report to see the alarming realities regarding the sheer number of applications vulnerable to attack, as well as the most common and easily addressable vulnerability errors.