Feeds

AOL Europe rubbishes senior staffer's IPO claims

AOL Europe not to float in Paris - but AOL France may well do

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Bridging the IT gap between rising business demands and ageing tools

AOL Europe has claimed the comments of one of its own executives that its French operation is to float on the Paris Bourse are "simply false".

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, AOL France chief executive Stephane Treppoz said the company would be listed on the French stock exchange next year. He also said French utilities company Vivendi would take a directstake in the newly floated operation. Right now, Vivendi controls AOL France's two key corporate shareholders, broadcaster Canal Plus and telecoms company Cegetel.

But Treppoz's comments were quickly denied by AOL Europe, the AOL US/Bertelsmann joint venture that owns majority stakes in all of the online service's European subsidiaries. "Any comments suggesting that AOL Europe will go public are simply false and can be attributed to market rumors. AOL Europe does not comment on market rumors," said a statement. "The shareholders of AOL Europe have made no decisions whatsoever about whether AOL Europe will be floated on any stock exchange in the future."

Of course, Treppoz was probably talking about AOL France, not AOL Europe. Certainly, AOL Europe may not float, but AOL France could well do. AOL Europe owns 45 per cent of AOL France; Cegetel and Canal Plus together own the remaining 55 per cent. And since Vivendi owns those two, it effectively has a majority stake in the French subsidiary and could force an IPO through. Given what Treppoz said, it seems very likely indeed that that's the way Vivendi is thinking. ®

Tune into Cash Register and turn on to our daily Net Finance News

Build a business case: developing custom apps

More from The Register

next story
BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
Auntie tight-lipped as major outage rolls on
Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
Phone egg, meet desktop chicken - your mother
ITC: Seagate and LSI can infringe Realtek patents because Realtek isn't in the US
Land of the (get off scot) free, when it's a foreign owner
HP, Microsoft prove it again: Big Business doesn't create jobs
SMEs get lip service - what they need is dinner at the Club
Samsung threatens to cut ties with supplier over child labour allegations
Vows to uphold 'zero tolerance' policy on underage workers
Dude, you're getting a Dell – with BITCOIN: IT giant slurps cryptocash
1. Buy PC with Bitcoin. 2. Mine more coins. 3. Goto step 1
There's NOTHING on TV in Europe – American video DOMINATES
Even France's mega subsidies don't stop US content onslaught
You! Pirate! Stop pirating, or we shall admonish you politely. Repeatedly, if necessary
And we shall go about telling people you smell. No, not really
US freemium mobile network eyes up Europe
FreedomPop touts 'free' calls, texts and data
prev story

Whitepapers

Seven Steps to Software Security
Seven practical steps you can begin to take today to secure your applications and prevent the damages a successful cyber-attack can cause.
Consolidation: The Foundation for IT Business Transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.
Designing a Defense for Mobile Applications
Learn about the various considerations for defending mobile applications - from the application architecture itself to the myriad testing technologies.
Build a business case: developing custom apps
Learn how to maximize the value of custom applications by accelerating and simplifying their development.
Consolidation: the foundation for IT and business transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.