Feeds

Chipset vendors insist world is wafer flat

Linda Harrison questions heady market share predictions

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Bridging the IT gap between rising business demands and ageing tools

The arithmetic skills of the world's top chipset vendors were in doubt today. SiS has promised to mark its territory with a spray covering 35 per cent of the chipset market by 2002. Oh, Yeah? The Taiwanese vendor stated it would be shipping over 52 million chipsets by 2002, more than double this year's expected 21 million. To back up its claim, it plans to pour a steaming NT$40 billion into building a new 8in chip fab. Meanwhile, Via has set its sights on as much as half the chipset market by 2001. Oh, Yeah? So where does that leave Intel? With a measly 15 per cent, that's where. And that's only if ALi's market share fell to precisely zero. Which would represent a collapse of Walls of Jericho proportions for Chipzilla. And extinction for Acer-owned ALi. Chipzilla currently controls 73 per cent of the mainstream PC chipset market, according to Dataquest. That leaves only 27 per cent for the other three biggies –- VIA, SiS and Acer –- which stand in that order. "I think SiS is being a little optimistic," said Joe D'Elia, senior microprocessor analyst at Dataquest Europe. "Intel has the lion's share, and I don't think that will change." Intel refused to be drawn into a fist-fight over percentages, but a representative blurted: "They should be telling us how they are going to do it, that's what I'm interested in." Via is currently number two in the market, and D'Elia expects them to stay there. "And besides, there's no way that everyone can have 35 per cent," he added Indeed, for that would make 140 per cent. And no amount of benchmark fiddling can make that figure work.® Related stories Via, SiS aim for high chipset market share

The Power of One Brief: Top reasons to choose HP BladeSystem

More from The Register

next story
BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
Auntie tight-lipped as major outage rolls on
iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple ran off to IBM
But never fear fanbois, you're still lapping up iPhones, Macs
Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
Phone egg, meet desktop chicken - your mother
HP, Microsoft prove it again: Big Business doesn't create jobs
SMEs get lip service - what they need is dinner at the Club
ITC: Seagate and LSI can infringe Realtek patents because Realtek isn't in the US
Land of the (get off scot) free, when it's a foreign owner
Samsung threatens to cut ties with supplier over child labour allegations
Vows to uphold 'zero tolerance' policy on underage workers
Dude, you're getting a Dell – with BITCOIN: IT giant slurps cryptocash
1. Buy PC with Bitcoin. 2. Mine more coins. 3. Goto step 1
There's NOTHING on TV in Europe – American video DOMINATES
Even France's mega subsidies don't stop US content onslaught
You! Pirate! Stop pirating, or we shall admonish you politely. Repeatedly, if necessary
And we shall go about telling people you smell. No, not really
prev story

Whitepapers

Designing a Defense for Mobile Applications
Learn about the various considerations for defending mobile applications - from the application architecture itself to the myriad testing technologies.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Reducing security risks from open source software
Follow a few strategies and your organization can gain the full benefits of open source and the cloud without compromising the security of your applications.
Boost IT visibility and business value
How building a great service catalog relieves pressure points and demonstrates the value of IT service management.
Consolidation: the foundation for IT and business transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.