Feeds

Gamers aren't geeks, survey claims

Shocking announcement turns preconceptions on their heads

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

The Essential Guide to IT Transformation

Everything you've ever learned is a lie - computer gamers are normal human beings, not the malformed weirdoes everyone thinks they are. This startling revelation comes from a survey carried out for Computec Media. Key findings indicated that the typical gamer was a well educated, well paid, socially well-adjusted male who - more than likely - drives a nice car. That's a real one, BTW. Torsten Oppermann, CEO of Computec commented: "Hardcore gamers are only the smallest part of the market." The vast majority of those playing computer games - 84 per cent - described themselves as 'casual game players' who do not know how to rocket jump or circle strafe. (Good news for the serious Quakers out there – more frags.) The remaining 16 per cent said that gaming was a serious hobby. 80 per cent of the gamers were between 16 and 34 and nearly half had a college education. The most popular types of game were strategy, action and sports. Unsurprisingly, educational games finished an unimpressive last place in the popularity stakes. ®

The Essential Guide to IT Transformation

More from The Register

next story
iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple fell into IBM's arms
But never fear fanbois, you're still lapping up iPhones, Macs
Sonos AXES support for Apple's iOS4 and 5
Want to use your iThing? You can't - it's too old
Philip K Dick 'Nazi alternate reality' story to be made into TV series
Amazon Studios, Ridley Scott firm to produce The Man in the High Castle
You! Pirate! Stop pirating, or we shall admonish you politely. Repeatedly, if necessary
And we shall go about telling people you smell. No, not really
Too many IT conferences to cover? MICROSOFT to the RESCUE!
Yet more word of cuts emerges from Redmond
Joe Average isn't worth $10 a year to Mark Zuckerberg
The Social Network deflates the PC resurgence with mobile-only usage prediction
Chips are down at Broadcom: Thousands of workers laid off
Cellphone baseband device biz shuttered
Feel free to BONK on the TUBE, says Transport for London
Plus: Almost NOBODY uses pay-by-bonk on buses - Visa
Amazon says Hachette should lower ebook prices, pay authors more
Oh yeah ... and a 30% cut for Amazon to seal the deal
prev story

Whitepapers

Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
The Essential Guide to IT Transformation
ServiceNow discusses three IT transformations that can help CIO's automate IT services to transform IT and the enterprise.
Consolidation: The Foundation for IT Business Transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Build a business case: developing custom apps
Learn how to maximize the value of custom applications by accelerating and simplifying their development.