Feeds

Half of credit card problems are Web related

Survey from Visa shows there's more to security loopholes than the Internet though

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Top 10 endpoint backup mistakes

This week, the Investors Chronicle (IC) reports that problems are being reported with 50 per cent of Internet credit card transactions. Obviously interested, this Register reporter went digging for more details. A phone call or two later, it transpired that not only had the IC got the wrong end of the statistic - Visa actually found that 47 per cent of all problems being reported were Internet related, which is kinda different - but the financial reference mag was quoting data from a nine month old survey. Still, the figures are interesting. Although it only accounts for one per cent of all sales, the Internet is causing more than its fair share of problems for Visa customers. Of the 47 per cent of Internet related problems, 22 per cent were fraudulent transactions, the remaining 78 per cent could be anything from late delivery to the wrong goods turning up. But there is no way of distinguishing the cases of stolen credit cards from Internet security failures, so the figures don't really give a clear indication of the state of play for ecommerce – whether that’s today or nine months ago when the survey took place. The Investors Chronicle article left the impression that the Internet is somehow sparking a new type of credit card fraud, but it ain't necessarily so. Consumers are probably as safe sending confidential data across the net as they are using the phone to make a credit card booking. ®

A new approach to endpoint data protection

More from The Register

next story
Amazon says Hachette should lower ebook prices, pay authors more
Oh yeah ... and a 30% cut for Amazon to seal the deal
Philip K Dick 'Nazi alternate reality' story to be made into TV series
Amazon Studios, Ridley Scott firm to produce The Man in the High Castle
Nintend-OH NO! Sorry, Mario – your profits are in another castle
Red-hatted mascot, red-colored logo, red-stained finance books
Sonos AXES support for Apple's iOS4 and 5
Want to use your iThing? You can't - it's too old
Joe Average isn't worth $10 a year to Mark Zuckerberg
The Social Network deflates the PC resurgence with mobile-only usage prediction
Feel free to BONK on the TUBE, says Transport for London
Plus: Almost NOBODY uses pay-by-bonk on buses - Visa
Twitch rich as Google flicks $1bn hitch switch, claims snitch
Gameplay streaming biz and search king refuse to deny fresh gobble rumors
Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
4,000 pixels is niche now... Don't say we didn't warn you
prev story

Whitepapers

7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration
Avoid the typical headaches of OS migration during your next project by learning about 7 elements of radically simple OS migration.
Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Consolidation: The Foundation for IT Business Transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.
Solving today's distributed Big Data backup challenges
Enable IT efficiency and allow a firm to access and reuse corporate information for competitive advantage, ultimately changing business outcomes.
A new approach to endpoint data protection
What is the best way to ensure comprehensive visibility, management, and control of information on both company-owned and employee-owned devices?