Feeds

UK telecomms industry is Y2K safe

Industry watchdog defies millennium ebola

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Boost IT visibility and business value

Oftel today proclaimed 90 per cent of UK public phone networks to be Y2K safe. The industry watchdog said it expected all stragglers to reach compliance by September, following an independent assessment of the country’s telecomms industry. A government statement revealed Oftel had adopted what it called "Action 2000’s ‘traffic lights’ system" to describe the different stages of compliance. "This means that 90 per cent of telecomms networks are ‘blue’ – the Y2K programmes have been monitored and no material risk of disruption identified. "All the major fixed networks, all providers of 999 service and the four mobile networks are assessed as ‘blue’," it said. The remaining 10 per cent of the public networks were said to be at "amber." David Edmonds, director general of telecommunications, said: "Today's report reinforces public confidence that network operators will continue to deliver consumers business as usual into the new millennium." The Register has every confidence in this promise, though has yet to see a blue traffic light. ®

The Power of One Brief: Top reasons to choose HP BladeSystem

More from The Register

next story
Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
4,000 pixels is niche now... Don't say we didn't warn you
BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
Auntie tight-lipped as major outage rolls on
Philip K Dick 'Nazi alternate reality' story to be made into TV series
Amazon Studios, Ridley Scott firm to produce The Man in the High Castle
iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple fell into IBM's arms
But never fear fanbois, you're still lapping up iPhones, Macs
Bose says today is F*** With Dre Day: Beats sued in patent battle
Music gear giant seeks some of that sweet, sweet Apple pie
There's NOTHING on TV in Europe – American video DOMINATES
Even France's mega subsidies don't stop US content onslaught
You! Pirate! Stop pirating, or we shall admonish you politely. Repeatedly, if necessary
And we shall go about telling people you smell. No, not really
Too many IT conferences to cover? MICROSOFT to the RESCUE!
Yet more word of cuts emerges from Redmond
Joe Average isn't worth $10 a year to Mark Zuckerberg
The Social Network deflates the PC resurgence with mobile-only usage prediction
prev story

Whitepapers

Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Consolidation: The Foundation for IT Business Transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.
Application security programs and practises
Follow a few strategies and your organization can gain the full benefits of open source and the cloud without compromising the security of your applications.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Securing Web Applications Made Simple and Scalable
Learn how automated security testing can provide a simple and scalable way to protect your web applications.