Journalist dies of septic shock – Comdex press food suspected

He and a colleague seem to have got serious food poisoning, somewhere in Las Vegas

A Californian computer journalist died on Monday of septic shock after a week at Comdex in Las Vegas, reports the San Jose Mercury. He was admitted to Las Vegas' Desert Springs Hospital on Friday suffering from nausea, diarrhoea, dehydration and high fever. According to the Mercury, the journalist, 68 year old Gerald Hewitt, is suspected of having been given food poisoning at a Comdex press lunch. A colleague, 67 year old Lee Peters, also attended the lunch and has been admitted to a California hospital with a similar condition. The two visited the show with another colleague, 57 year old Judy Rogow, staying in the Gold Strike Casino 25 miles from Las Vegas. She is reported to have had a stomach upset. ®

Sponsored: 5 critical considerations for enterprise cloud backup